Steering Group on Human Resources and Mobility
The ERA Steering Group on Human Resources and Mobility (ERA SGHRM) supports the implementation and the monitoring of progress of the EU2020 Flagship Initiative Innovation Union (IU), as well as the implementation of the ERA Communication “A Reinforced European Research Area Partnership for Excellence and Growth” (July 2012) with regard to researchers’ careers and mobility at EU and at national level (e.g. European Charter for Researchers and Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers, Scientific Visa, Innovative Doctoral Training, EURAXESS activities), as well as to the attractiveness of Europe to researchers in general.
Currently the SG HRM is focusing on the following issues as the main barriers to developing the ERA: i) doctoral training; ii) recruitment in public research institutions; iii) research career structure; and iv) social security (including supplementary pension funds). A Working Group (WG) on Open, Transparent and Merit-based recruitment of researchers is currently operating under the SGHRM umbrella: the objective of the WG is to produce operational conclusions for research performing organisations (RPO) and any concerned stakeholder on implementing open, transparent and merit-based recruitment practices, including a practitioners’ toolkit - a set of practical and useful tools for implementing open, transparent and merit-based recruitment practices. The WG will gather their main conclusions in a final report and submit them to the SGHRM in 2015. A standing WG targets data collection and processing of data to strengthen the evidence base and underpin monitoring.
The members of the Steering Group on Human Resources and Mobility (SGHRM) will provide information on the overall plans devised at national level for the implementation of the Researchers' Partnership. They will also report regularly on the actions undertaken or envisaged to execute these plans, as well as on developments regarding other on-going researcher-related activities. Currently the group is chaired by Conor O’Carroll (IE).
The group's draft mandate includes the following tasks:
- strengthening mutual learning activities through information exchange, identification of best practices and, where appropriate, the use of peer-reviews;
- defining and using appropriate indicators for monitoring progress, at both national and Community level;
- developing common guidelines where they can reinforce a consistent implementation of actions of common interest or inspire new or improved actions;
- contributing to the definition of Community actions within the ERA Communication;
- liaising with other relevant groups and stakeholders to make better use of existing initiatives, such as the EURAXESS activities (by strengthening links with the national Bridgehead Organisations),
with the aim of supporting the coherent development of policies and measures at national level along the IU commitments, the priority lines of action proposed in the “Reinforced European Research Area Partnership for Excellence and Growth”, and of enhancing complementarities and synergies between national and Community actions.
Ms. JULIA TSCHELAUT, Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy,
Ms. ANNA DICKERMANN, Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy,
Ms. PATRIZIA JANKOVIC, Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy