ERA Policy Agenda Action 2: Propose an EU copyright and data legislative and regulatory framework
08 May 2023read more
ERA Policy Agenda Action 2 deals with proposing an EU copyright and data legislative and regulatory framework fit for research. Such a legislative and regulatory framework should enable, among other things:
- access to (including open access) and reuse of publicly funded R&I results;
- access to (including open access) and reuse of publications and data for research purposes;
- data services and infrastructures managed by/for the benefit of research stakeholders; and
- flow of research knowledge and data across the EU based on Article 179 TFEU and academic freedom.
However, barriers and challenges to these objectives exist in the EU legislative and regulatory framework. To address this situation, the Commission will analyse EU copyright and data legislation to identify existing and possible additional barriers and challenges, and possible measures to address them. The results of the analysis will be discussed with Member States, Associated Countries and relevant stakeholders.
On the basis of this analysis, the action will explore possible legislative and non-legislative measures to ensure a framework fit for research. This action will interact with ongoing actions such as the monitoring and guidance on the transposition of existing Directives (e.g. Copyright Directive; Open Data Directive).
This action is not intended to specifically cover the General Data Protection Regulation or more sectoral legislation such as the upcoming proposal for a European Health Data Space Regulation or the proposed Artificial Intelligence Act.
The action is expected to have the following outcomes:
- Identify barriers and challenges to access and reuse of: i) publicly funded R&I results; ii) publications and data for scientific purposes, and identify potential impacts on research, through an analysis of relevant provisions under EU copyright and data legislation and related regulatory frameworks, and of relevant institutional and national initiatives
- Propose legislative and non-legislative measures to improve the current EU copyright and data legislative and regulatory frameworks.
The expected impact of ERA Policy Agenda Action 2 is to create an improved understanding of the impact of the EU copyright and data legislative and regulatory framework on research and innovation, as well as to provide improved EU legislative and regulatory framework conditions for research and innovation.
For more information: