Senior Policy Officer
In order to support its policy activities, Science Europe is currently looking for a Senior Policy Officer. The successful candidate will be part of a team that is responsible for supporting collaboration among the Member Organisations, for developing advocacy strategies on key issues for scientific research in Europe, and for advising the Science Europe governance on policy developments. We are looking for policy experts with expertise in areas such as Open Science/Open Access, Research Infrastructures, and other priority areas of the Science Europe Roadmap.
The position is open until filled. Applications will be accepted until a qualified candidate is selected, at which time the recruitment will be closed.
We are an association of major public European Research Funding Organisations (RFO) and Research Performing Organisations (RPO) from 27 countries. We promote the collective interests of our Member Organisations, through advocacy and we support them in their efforts to foster European research by offering a platform for collaboration. We contribute to the development of robust research policies in Europe and to the European Research Area through engagement with key partners. Science Europe aisbl is based in Brussels (Belgium). Our offices are ideally located in the so-called EU area and easily accessible by public transport.
We are looking for a candidate who
- is educated to at least master’s level or higher and has minimum eight years of relevant work experience, in the area of research policy or research administration;
- is fluent in English (native or near-native level) and has advanced writing and editing skills in the language;
- has previous experience working in and/or a solid understanding of Science Europe policy areas of activities (see our website);
- has in-depth knowledge of the policy-making processes at the European level;
- has experience working in and/or a solid understanding of mechanisms of publicly-funded scientific research systems in Europe, at national and EU-level.;
- Previous experience working in a research environment is an asset.
- You have strong analytical thinking and policy awareness with the ability to interpret and explain policy developments to various audiences;
- You are service-oriented and demonstrate concern for meeting the needs of Member Organisations;
- You have proven capacity to deal with stakeholders and broker common positions;
- You have strong inter-personal, external networking, negotiation and persuasion skills;
- You have strong organisational skills, and the ability to manage time and to work to deadlines;
- You are team-oriented and able to work collaboratively with colleagues for a common goal;
- You have a pro-active, flexible and ‘hands on’ approach to work.
As a Senior Policy Officer, you will oversee a portfolio of policy files relevant for the Member Organisations of Science Europe. Within that portfolio, that evolves over time, you will:
- manage and co-ordinate collaboration and advocacy activities on priority research policyareas, in close co-operation with the Member Organisations (at expert and decision making levels), with colleagues in the Science Europe Office and with external contacts. Priorities are allocated in line with the Science Europe strategy and work plan;
- be responsible for monitoring, providing sound analysis and timely advice to management and governance on European and global developments in a broader range of research policy areas;
- organise, or contribute to organising, events, publications and other activities related to Science Europe’s work plan; and,
- liaise with European Institutions, stakeholder organisations and the wider international community to represent Science Europe and advocate for its messages.
More information on the offer can be found here.