Scientific Officer - Toxicologist
The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) is the driving force among regulatory authorities in implementing the EU's groundbreaking chemicals legislation for the benefit of human health and the environment as well as for innovation and competitiveness. ECHA helps companies to comply with the legislation, advances the safe use of chemicals, provides information on chemicals and addresses chemicals of concern.
The Scientific Officer – Toxicologist will work in one or more of the work areas covering human health issues relating to the REACH Regulation, the Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR) and to the Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) Regulation. The Scientific Officer will work in multidisciplinary teams evaluating and developing scientific and technical information on toxicity, exposure and risks of chemical substances to humans.
The Scientific Officer – Toxicologist will participate in specific operational areas of the Agency. In particular, s/he will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Examination of the summaries and reports of standard regulatory toxicology studies (in vivo and in vitro), existing studies and literature data and alternative methodologies (e.g. read-across, QSARs or the weight of evidence approach) to assess the adequacy of the information and the toxicological properties of substances;
- Examination and verification of the human health hazard and risk assessments;
- Evaluation of integrated assessment and testing strategies on the use of relevant test methods and alternative methods in the regulatory context;
- Contribute to development of scientific opinions on derived no-effect levels (DNELs) and the setting of occupational exposure limits (OELs) for chemical substances;
- Develope and carry out internal and external training activities and capacity building (including method and tool development) in the relevant fields of expertise.
The Scientific Officer – Toxicologist may also contribute to the following tasks:
- Identify the need and develop guidance on technical and scientific issues and to the preparation of such guidance;
- Management of projects in their areas of expertise.
More information on the vacancy can be found here.