EUA publishes position in reaction to EC's ERA Communication
The European University Association (EUA) has published a position paper reacting to the European Commission's Communication 'A new ERA for Research and Innovation' that was published on 30 September 2020. EUA welcomes the Communication as a "starting point" to make the new ERA a reality.
In its position paper, EUA calls on the Commission and EU member states to build a comprehensive dialogue with universities and other R&I actors on the means and ends of the new ERA. It also reiterates its call to EU member states to ensure sustainable funding for R&I both at European and national levels.
Specifically, the Association calls on the Commission and EU member states to:
- co-create with the R&I community a broad and forward-looking definition of excellence to guide the new ERA,
- fully embrace inclusiveness with a view to closing R&I gaps in Europe,
- consult with universities and other R&I actors on the right balance between investigator-driven and mission-oriented R&I;
- adopt a positive and holistic approach to equity, diversity and inclusion,
- emphasise core values, such as institutional autonomy and academic freedom, as the underlying principles of the new ERA.
The new European Research Area: Building capacity through dialogue (EUA position paper)TOP