Guild of Research-Intensive Universities publishes position paper on R&I missions
The Guild of European Research-Intensive Universities, has published a position paper on the mission-driven approach envisaged for FP9. The association welcomes the Commission’s plan to adopt R&I missions, saying that they address the Sustainable Development Goals from a European perspective, foster interdisciplinary research, and help articulate impact more effectively. The paper lists some guiding principles and makes several recommendations for the mission-led approach. According to the Guild,
- Missions should build on European research excellence and make long-term contributions to global challenges by providing more opportunities for collaboration.
- To achieve wide-ranging societal impact and address different societal concerns, the variety of missions should cover all disciplines.
- Missions should integrate research-led education into their outreach and societal engagement.
In addition, the academic communities of the network’s member universities propose the following topics for future missions, as a contribution to the debate on which kind of research and innovation missions should be introduced in FP9:
- Restoring the cultural authority of science
- Leaving a sustainable city in a sustainable landscape to our children
- Eradicating Europe’s digital divides
- Personalised prevention, precision medicine, and healthy ageing
- Taking arms against anti-microbial resistance (AMR)
The Guild is a network of 19 European research-intensive universities in 14 countries and was founded in 2016.
For further information: