EMBL publishes vision for FP9
EMBL, the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, has published its "Vision for FP9", as input to the preparation of the next EU Research Framework Programme.
According to EMBL, the next FP should be based on the following guiding principles:
- Scientific excellence
- Making long-term investments in multidisciplinary research
- Increasing support for data-driven science
- Long-term rather than short-term impact
- Expanding Europe's global reach
- Engaging the next generation of citizen scientists.
EMBL calls on European policymakers to significantly increase funding for FP9, in particular for instruments such as Marie Skłodowska Curie Actions, European Research Council grants and the Research Infrastructures programme. EMBL also stresses that support should be provided to curiosity-driven fundamental research in exploring unchartered territories in the quest for solutions to issues affecting the health of the European and global population.
The EMBL paper can be downloaded below.