RIO releases 2015 country reports on Cyprus and Latvia
RIO, the European Commission's Research and Innovation Observatory, has released its 2015 country reports on Cyprus and Latvia. This increases the number of 2015 country reports published so far to 16. The annual RIO Country Reports analyse the respective national R&I systems, including relevant policies and funding, with particular focus on topics critical for EU policies. The Reports also identify the main challenges of the respective research and innovation system and assess the policy response.
With regard to Cyprus, the RIO Country Report lists the following challenges:
- improving guidance and evaluation of R&I governance at strategic level
- strengthening and supporting private sector R&I activities
- intensifying knowledge transfer and the commercialisation of research results.
Latvia is currently facing the following challenges, according to the RIO Country Report:
- continuing the reform in the public research system and strengthening public R&D capacity
- encouraging private sector innovation capacity, investment and collaboration with science.