28 Apr 2020
ESFRI presents vision for European Research Infrastructures in the new ERA
On 27 April, the European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures (ESFRI) released a strategy paper which is the input of ESFRI to the ongoing discussion of a renewed ERA. ESFRI has reflected on how to foster the further development of a European Research Infrastructure system capable of effectively supporting the enabling role of research and innovation for achieving Europe’s wider policy goals.The document titled “Making Science Happen” summarises the effort of the last fifteen months, engaging national authorities of EU Member States and Associated Countries, the European Commission and the scientific community.
This vision is intimately related to achieving the following objectives:
1. Research: maintain an absolute edge globally in Research Infrastructure capabilities to serve ambitious, curiosity- and demand-driven, societally relevant, scientific and technological research, thereby increasing the attractiveness of the ERA for researchers, industrial users, and international partners
2. Innovation: accelerate the exploitation of European Research Infrastructures as knowledge and innovation hubs, boosting their role as drivers of economic growth, social and environmental transitions, and place-based innovation
3. Education: engage Research Infrastructures and Higher Education institutions in specialised training of students, young academics and industrial scientists on next-generation technologies, inter-disciplinary methodologies and data management skills
4. Policies: increase coherence between European, national and regional priorities and policies for Research Infrastructure development and funding, and effective synergies with other European policies and funding instruments
5. Data: exploit the data science and data engineering expertise of Research Infrastructures for the development of the European Open Science Cloud.
The vision paper can be downloaded here: